Thursday, March 10, 2016

New Book

A while back I introduced myself to Sherlock and I think it's safe to say that the family and I are quite hooked.


A little while later, I got introduced to Broadchurch.


Since then, I've become a sucker for murder mysteries. One thing that really upped my experience is when I found a book called Treachery by S.J. Parris, which is a murder mystery I found at Drake Circus.


It is a book about Sir Francais Drake (who was a real person)


who is sailing the Elizabeth Bonadventure to Spain (which was a real ship)


but there was a murder in his crew, so an Italian (and Catholic) scholar named Giordano Bruno is going to find out who did it (Giordano Bruno was also a real person)


Did I mention that it takes place IN Plymouth? It's nice to read something that has a familiar setting. I just need to imagine Plymouth in 1585 (which in retrospect is not that hard to do). So now it's a fun little project to read the book, write down any locations in Plymouth that are mentioned, and then go looking for them.


One of them was extremely simple, which was Drake's Island.


"'And what is that island?' I ask, pointing to a mound of rock at the summit, a stone tower peeps above the treeline.
'St Nicholas Island,' Knolly says, shading his eyes, 'though the locals call it Drake's Island. (S. J. Parris, Treachery, page 33)'"

3 comments:

  1. I live in the road where broadchurch was filmed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so lucky. It looks like such a beautiful area.

      Delete
  2. I think you would like Poriot too

    ReplyDelete